Ceapro Inc. Reports 2021 Third Quarter and Nine-Month Financial Results and Operational Highlights
– Increased R&D activities focused on the completion of a clinical trial for oat beta glucan as a potential cholesterol reducer and on the development of yeast beta glucan as a potential inhalable therapeutic for COVID-19 –
– Q3 2021 record sales of $4,523,000 compared to $3,476,000 for Q3 2020, representing a 30% increase –
– Net profit of $875,000 for Q3 2021 vs. net profit of $192,000 for Q3 2020, a 356% increase –
– Achieved record production levels despite COVID-19 pandemic situation –
EDMONTON, Alberta, Nov. 17, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Ceapro Inc. (TSX-V: CZO; OTCQX: CRPOF) (“Ceapro” or the “Company”), a growth-stage biotechnology company focused on the development and commercialization of active ingredients for healthcare and cosmetic industries, today announced financial results and operational highlights for the third quarter and the first nine months ended September 30, 2021.
“Progress continues on all fronts from production operations to research and development, allowing us to advance our pipeline while expanding our business model. We are extremely proud of our employees who worked tirelessly since the beginning of the year to maintain operations and deliver these very solid results despite the COVID-19 pandemic. As we continue to move forward, our focus remains on the health and safety of our associates, followed by business continuity,” stated Gilles Gagnon, M.Sc., MBA, President and CEO.
Corporate and Operational Highlights
- Pursued the development of new PGX-dried chemical complexes for potential applications under various forms like pills, capsules, fast dissolving strips and face masks. Alginate and yeast beta glucan to become key products of Ceapro’s portfolio.
- Resumed bioavailability studies with University of Alberta for new chemical complexes yeast beta glucan-CoQ10, alginate-CoQ10 and newly formed alginate yeast beta glucan-CoQ10.
- Announced research agreement with Boston-based Angiogenesis Foundation to assess in vivo bioefficacy of oat beta glucan and avenanthramides in angiogenesis, blood vessel repairs, wound healing and tissue regeneration in various inflammation-based diseases and conditions like COVID-19 presenting damages of the lung blood vessels.
- Expanded collaboration with Montreal Heart Institute to initiate a Phase 1 clinical trial to assess safety and tolerability of pharmaceutical grade avenanthramides powder formulation.
- Conducting in vivo studies with McMaster University with yeast beta glucan as a potential inhalable therapeutic.
- Pursued installment in Edmonton of a commercial scale unit for impregnation of bioactives with PGX-processed biopolymers.
- Ongoing engineering design for PGX processing commercial unit.
- Achieved record levels with production of over 70 MT of finished products during the last quarter reliably providing our customers essential high quality products.
Subsequent to Quarter:
- Announced discovery of a new mechanism of action for PGX processed yeast beta glucan (PGX-YBG) as a potential inhalable therapeutic for lung fibrotic diseases including COVID-19 patients.
- PGX-YBG binds to specific receptors (Dectin 1) located on macrophages responsible for the cascade of immunomodulating events when activated.
- McMaster’s research team demonstrates ability of PGX-YBG to reprogram macrophages on its own.
- Reported preliminary results from clinical trial evaluating oat beta glucan in patients with high cholesterol levels. The study did not achieve the expected primary endpoint related to a decrease of low-density lipoproteins cholesterol when using Ceapro’s pill dosage form. While there was no statistically significant difference between the placebo group and the different dosages of beta glucan, there were positive signals that beta glucan nutraceutical formulation may offer appreciable health benefits as indicated with approved Health Canada’s beta glucan monograph (Natural Product Division)
Financial Highlights for the Third Quarter and Nine-Month Period Ended September 30, 2021
- Total sales of $4,523,000 for the third quarter of 2021 and $13,633,000 for the first nine months of 2021 compared to $3,476,000 and $12,415,000 for the comparative periods in 2020. The 10% increase in sales for the first nine months is mainly due to a significant increase in sales of avenanthramides in the USA compared to the same period in 2020.
- Net profit of $875,000 for the third quarter of 2021 and $2,067,000 for the first nine months of 2021 compared to a net profit of $192,000 and $2,395,000 for the comparative periods in 2020. Increased net profit for the third quarter of 2021 comes from improved margin of 65.2% as compared to 47.8% in 2020. Improved margins in 2021 result from the buying of excellent source material and from the diligent work of highly skilled personnel operating in only one site as compared to two sites in 2020.
- R&D investments were $1,400,000 for Q3 2021 compared to $479,000 for the same period in 2020. The significant increase being due to payments made to Montreal Heart Institute for a clinical trial for the assessment of oat beta glucan as a potential cholesterol reducer by almost $1.0 million during Q3 2021.
- Cash flows generated from operations of $2,837,000for the first nine months in 2021 vs $4,777,000 in 2020.
- Positive working capital balance of $10,367,000 as of September 30, 2021.
“Looking ahead, while considering the ongoing potential economic impact related to COVID-19, evolving consumption trends and escalating inflationary levels we believe Ceapro is well-positioned to once again deliver a strong growth in sales well in line with the positive trend achieved over the last years. While we have experienced a “bump in the road” with the beta glucan trial, our solid base business and expanded pipeline will enable us to pursue the expansion of our business model to the nutraceutical sector with avenanthramides and yeast beta glucan for which we are going to conduct more preclinical assays before investing at large scale levels. With a strong balance sheet, a group of dedicated people, and a solid base business, coupled with the innovative technologies and products that we have developed to enable us to expand, Ceapro is poised to emerge as a successful life science company,” concluded Mr. Gagnon.
|Condensed Interim Consolidated Balance Sheets|
|September 30,||December 31,|
|Cash and cash equivalents||7,410,214||5,369,029|
|Inventories (note 3)||1,532,271||1,210,079|
|Prepaid expenses and deposits||133,760||348,845|
|Total Current Assets||11,831,825||9,049,900|
|Investment tax credits receivable||607,700||607,700|
|Licences (note 4)||16,292||18,514|
|Property and equipment (note 5)||17,776,791||18,591,189|
|Deferred tax assets||874,304||874,304|
|Total Non-Current Assets||19,357,211||20,173,831|
|LIABILITIES AND EQUITY|
|Accounts payable and accrued liabilities||1,097,645||1,067,622|
|Current portion of lease liabilities (note 6)||286,608||250,658|
|Current portion of CAAP loan (note 8)||80,811||72,263|
|Total Current Liabilities||1,465,064||1,390,543|
|Long-term lease liabilities (note 6)||2,432,682||2,648,917|
|Deferred tax liabilities||874,304||874,304|
|Total Non-Current Liabilities||3,306,986||3,523,221|
|Share capital (note 7 (b))||16,557,401||16,511,067|
|Contributed surplus (note 7 (e))||4,676,456||4,682,393|
|TOTAL LIABILITIES AND EQUITY||31,189,036||29,223,731|
|Condensed Interim Consolidated Statements of Net Income and Comprehensive Income|
|Ended September 30,||Ended September 30,|
|Revenue (note 14)||4,522,980||3,475,625||13,633,354||12,414,970|
|Cost of goods sold||1,573,655||1,814,080||5,787,608||5,794,573|
|Research and product development||1,403,186||478,993||3,050,544||1,381,332|
|General and administration||766,605||791,217||2,431,659||2,494,514|
|Sales and marketing||4,957||12,395||34,557||89,830|
|Finance costs (note 11)||37,684||43,066||169,938||189,258|
|Income from operations||736,893||335,874||2,159,048||2,465,463|
|Other (expenses) income (note 10)||138,381||(144,251||)||(92,426||)||(70,746||)|
|Income before tax||875,274||191,623||2,066,622||2,394,717|
|Total comprehensive income for the period||875,274||191,623||2,066,622||2,394,717|
|Net income per common share (note 17):|
|Weighted average number of common shares outstanding (note 17):|
|Condensed Interim Consolidated Statements of Cash Flows|
|Nine Months Ended September 30,||$||$|
|Net income for the period||2,066,622||2,394,717|
|Adjustments for items not involving cash|
|Depreciation and amortization||1,408,392||1,382,838|
|Gain on disposal of equipment||(5,000||)||-|
|Net income for the period adjusted for non-cash items||3,598,624||4,034,715|
|CHANGES IN NON-CASH WORKING CAPITAL ITEMS|
|Prepaid expenses and deposits||137,618||12,471|
|Accounts payable and accrued liabilities relating to operating activities||163,017||(355,552||)|
|Total changes in non-cash working capital items||(655,190||)||859,323|
|Net income for the period adjusted for non-cash and working capital items||2,943,434||4,894,038|
|CASH GENERATED FROM OPERATIONS||2,837,044||4,776,801|
|Purchase of property and equipment||(494,833||)||(222,610||)|
|Purchase of leasehold improvements||(19,472||)||-|
|Proceeds from sale of equipment||5,000||353|
|Accounts payable and accrued liabilities relating to investing activities||(132,994||)||14,161|
|CASH USED IN INVESTING ACTIVITIES||(642,299||)||(208,096||)|
|Stock options exercised||26,725||3,013|
|Repayment of long-term debt||-||(112,973||)|
|Repayment of lease liabilities||(180,285||)||(197,537||)|
|CASH USED IN FINANCING ACTIVITIES||(153,560||)||(307,497||)|
|Increase in cash and cash equivalents||2,041,185||4,261,208|
|Cash and cash equivalents at beginning of the period||5,369,029||1,857,195|
|Cash and cash equivalents at end of the period||7,410,214||6,118,403|
About Ceapro Inc.
Ceapro Inc. is a Canadian biotechnology company involved in the development of proprietary extraction technology and the application of this technology to the production of extracts and “active ingredients” from oats and other renewable plant resources. Ceapro adds further value to its extracts by supporting their use in cosmeceutical, nutraceutical, and therapeutics products for humans and animals. The Company has a broad range of expertise in natural product chemistry, microbiology, biochemistry, immunology and process engineering. These skills merge in the fields of active ingredients, biopharmaceuticals and drug-delivery solutions. For more information on Ceapro, please visit the Company’s website at www.ceapro.com.
For more information contact:
JTC Team, LLC
Investor Relations and Corporate Communications Advisor
T (US): +1 (833) 475-8247
This press release does not express or imply that the Company claims its product has the ability to eliminate, cure or contain the SARS-2-CoV-2 (COVID-19) at this time.
Neither TSX Venture Exchange nor its Regulation Services Provider (as that term is defined in the policies of the TSX Venture Exchange) accepts responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release.
Released November 17, 2021